Join us on the Journey

This devotional from Palms Presbyterian
church is aimed at thinking about what it means to be following Jesus in discipleship.

Please add to the conversation in the comments - comments will be reviewed for appropriateness. Conversation always helps the learning process so speak up and tell us what you think about the text and our lives as disciples.

If you would like to receive these devotionals by email please contact the Rev. Andrew Kukla at andrew.kukla@palmschurch.org and ask to be added to the email list.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3: Rabbit Trials R Us

I'm taking off down a rabbit trail from the Book of Acts to continue a thought from my sermon this last Sunday. (Bonus to anyone who can track how this flows out of my sermon... but I assure you in some convoluted way it does.) So for today simply a thought to think about and share:

I've always heard about a protestant work ethic... but actually what we all have is a Roman Catholic work ethic. We are bound up in the idea that what we do and achieve makes us valuable and good. God's grace will always be a empty sentiment in such a world... and an impossible reality for us to live into until we give up such a totalitarian work ethic.

God loves you, and I love you - simply because you are you!

How can you (we) re-orient our lives such that our self-worth is not measured in success... achievement... and stuff? (that last is a very theologically deep word!)

1 comment:

  1. "It doesn't matter, God loves you and He loves me!"

    That could be the answer to any "yeah-buts" we can pose as to why there is ALWAYS some reason to feel not good enough.

    Being raised in a Roman Catholic family, guilt lays heavy. And you are right, it is very hard to grasp God's grace, something I still don't fully bask in today.

    In a small group, we looked at the "Call for All" which helped me re-orient my life in response to your question. I believe this is my purpose and what I need to achieve each day (not stuff!), I tell myself to "do my best and forget about the rest!"

    The Call for ALL is to:
    1. Love God
    2. Love Yourself
    3. Love Others

    Our small group ALL had a hard time with the loving ourselves part. We never really thought about it before (even though it is part of the greatest commandment!) and realized we are pretty tough on ourselves, constantly self criticizing and self doubting! We all agreed we treat others better than ourselves!

    When I think of re-orienting, I also think of "clinging to the vine." "If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."

    If really is refreshing and freeing when you can walk in grace and get your mind around the idea. Grace is the answer to ANY tough question and THAT is Good News!!!

    ReplyDelete