Join us on the Journey

This devotional from Palms Presbyterian
church is aimed at thinking about what it means to be following Jesus in discipleship.

Please add to the conversation in the comments - comments will be reviewed for appropriateness. Conversation always helps the learning process so speak up and tell us what you think about the text and our lives as disciples.

If you would like to receive these devotionals by email please contact the Rev. Andrew Kukla at andrew.kukla@palmschurch.org and ask to be added to the email list.

Monday, September 27, 2010

September 27: Suffering Discipleship

There they strengthened the souls of the disciples and encouraged them to continue in the faith, saying, "It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God." (Acts 14:22)

Before I put a word (or two) in on this let me offer you a series of favorite quotations… it’s a list that is hard to edit, but it could be longer!

The first quotation comes from Jurgen Moltmann in the beginning of his book, The Crucified God. It is the follow up to his book A Theology of Hope.

“As far as I am concerned, the Christian church and Christian theology become relevant to the problems of the modern world only when they revel the ‘hard core’ of their identity in the crucified Christ and through it are called into question, together with the society in which they live.”

The second quotation comes from popular Southern Gothic writer Flannery O’Connor who was known for stories that embraced the darkness of the world around her. She was also very thoughtful about her strong Catholic faith. This particular comment comes from a letter written to a friend.

“I think that the Church is the only thing that is going to make the terrible world we are coming to endurable; the only thing that makes the Church endurable is that it is somehow the body of Christ and that on this we are fed. It seems to be a fact that you have to suffer as much from the Church as for it, but if you believe in the divinity of Christ, you have to cherish the world at the same time that you struggle to endure it.”

The final quotation comes from theologian H. Richard Neibuhr as he characterizes the God of Liberal Theology (the belief that human society is getting better and better and will bring in the Kingdom of God). Despite great critique liberal theology lives on in American society and this particular critique is also easily aimed at the popular sense of God as benign moralistic deity (God is up in heaven and basically wants good things to happen to me but otherwise isn’t very involved in my life).

“A God without wrath brought men without sin into a kingdom without judgment through the ministry of a Christ without a cross.”

So why do I give you these three quotations? Well… back to the text.

There they strengthened the souls of the disciples and encouraged them to continue in the faith, saying, "It is through many persecutions that we must enter the kingdom of God." (Acts 14:22)

It have always (as far as I know… perhaps there was a time in childhood I felt different) felt that Christian faith requires that you be moved out of out of your comfort zone. To pull another Neibuhr quotation it, “comforts the afflicted, and afflicts the comforted.”

I believe that self-sacrifice and yes – even suffering – is inherent to Christian faith and discipleship. I do not believe such suffering is good. I do believe that it is the necessary byproduct of living in the Kingdom of God that chooses to not play by the rules of society – in fact it even chooses to turn them upside down. It is the necessary byproduct of a life lived loving God, neighbor and self.

A way to understand the cross (not the only way, but certainly a way) is that the price of living a life in the way of Jesus Christ is the world will attempt to kill you because it cannot abide people who choose to live so “foolishly”.

Our world understands and condones hate and fear… it just cannot abide love.

I’m biased on the subject.
I understand discipleship is joyful… but maybe not fun.
I understand it is fulfilling… but often lonely.
I understand it is desirable… but not because of what I get out of it, as if by signing up I pay to receive services and entertainment.

Discipleship is desirable because “here we find the words of eternal life” – even when that eternal life comes at the cost of our earthly life (or comfort) as it did for so many of the early disciples.

I’m biased… and so I leave you with these quotations – because I am not alone.
I’m biased… and so I leave you with these questions – because I want to be with you too.

How do you see the cross present in your life?

What do you love most, and hate most, about the Church – the body of Christ in the world?

Who is God for you?

Loving God,
Your love is radical. Your love stirs and pushes, pulls and embraces. Your love puts a call on our life that is hard to live as it invites us to live so differently from the world of self-interest, competition, and fear. Help us to love, as you have loved us. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. For me, God is a loving God "who just knows" the ropes that bind me from having a relationship with Him.

    God walks with me through fires (Isaiah 43:1-3) and assures me, the only thing that will be burned are those ropes as we walk together. I love that I have a God that dwells with me. The waters, rivers and fires I walk through build and refine my faith (1 Peter 1:6-7). If I didn't have trials, I honestly don't know that I would be at church or read my Bible..or even seek my loving God. I am ashamed to say this. But again, God knew this, hence the trials exist!

    I love the Church as my "home base" in a terrible never ending game of tag aka "life." I can run there and rest, before I am forced back into the world. I love the church for teaching what I need to know not only for survival, but to enjoy the creation as it was intended. My life sours when I am away from church for too long. I love my church and love being loved by my church!

    I hate to say I hate anything. But I really dislike that so many different religions exist that further separate followers of Christ. I also dislike how traditions can limit expression to God or cause unfair judgement by those who practice tradition to those who don't, but are still worshipping Christ all the same!

    ReplyDelete